Monday, March 8, 2010

The Force is Strong with You - DYI Jedi Robes

I have been meaning to make these robes for a while and finally got them done over the weekend.  I found the greatest tutorial on Instructables for the robe/cloak.  Each robe takes about 2 yards of fabric. I used fleece for my fabric, partly because I'm lazy and didn't want to do too much hemming, but I was also thinking these would double as bath robes (we'll see).  At least they are cozy.  So this tutorial talks you through taking measurements and building your own pattern.  I shortcut a little here, and saved a lot of time.  I took the measurements of the boys and just marked it out with chalk on my fabric, then eyeballed the cutting.  Fleece doesn't slip around when cutting so that helped, you might have to use a paper pattern if you are using something more silky.  

The hood was the most "complicated" part. I wish I had cut it a bit bigger through the brim so it would be lower on the forehead I traced a hood on a hoodie of mine thinking it would be big enough.  I also re-read the instructions today doing Larissa's and wished I had seen the pleats the first time, so don't forget the pleats on the hood it really helped shape the bigger hood.
The tunic I made up. You need about 8" of the lighter fabric for the top, plus about 3 inches for the belt. It takes about 5 min. to cut and 5 to sew seriously.   Basically it is a front-only tunic and saves the extra bulk and weight through the back.  You cut a 8" wide strip from bias to bias, fold it half like a scarf, leave a loop open at the top to slip over the head.  Pick how low you'd like the V in the neck and sew the two sides of the scarf together and add a strip for the belt.  (If anyone isn't clear on that and wants how-to pics let me know)



I have a request for a black one for Darth Vader on order.  My friend Larissa came over today and we whipped up one for her son too, they are really pretty easy.  The boys had a great time at the park with them.  

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship. ~Yoda
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I really like those, they look totally Star Wars authentic. Brody would love it, thanks for sharing!

Lahni said...

Isaiah would love one of these. He got the Lego Stars Wars Wii game for Christmas and has been obsessed with Star Wars ever since!

Lorna said...

Those look so fun, who wouldn't want a cape like that. Clever Mommy.

Jamie said...

Very cool. My friend made a whole wack of these for her son's birthday party and gave each one of the attendees one! Nate LOVES his.

Rainy Day Farm said...

Those are so cool! Great job, Mom!