Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spooky Necklaces

We had a lot of fun making these glue ghost necklaces by Martha. I even went into the boys kindergarten class and the entire class made one. At the craft table - for each chair, I put an outline of a ghost on white paper, taped on the table. I pre-cut squares of wax paper, taped over the top. The children started off writing their names with a permanent marker on the wax paper. Then, using the glue bottle, they traced the ghost with glue, then filled it in. It was a very fast, easy craft to execute, but drying time is at least overnight so make sure there is a flat, out of reach place to dry the ghosts (a wide window ledge for example).

Another fun necklace idea is making skulls with Brenda at Alpha-Mom. She makes these for Day of the Dead celebrations, but my boys fancy their skulls for Halloween decor. She has a really cool aut0-photo slide show showing how to make the skulls that my 5-yr olds watched, then did it themselves. Her salt dough recipe is easy and fantastic! We also used the dough to make various other bones.
1/2 c. salt
1 c. of flour
1/2 c. of water
a cookie sheet
a toothpick

Bake at 250F between 2 1/2 and 3 hours.

Someday when my camera returns from the shop I will add photos, but the boys strung together skulls, ribs, bones on a string that is now morbidly adorning their bunk beds (I think as a warning to pirates not to cross them, they have been playing pirate ship lately.) I added purple jewels in the eye sockets of mine and added them between pennants on my B-O-O banner.

2 comments:

Traci said...

How fun, I bet the kids just ate that project up. The ghosts look super fun. I can't wait to see your BOO banner. It will be BOO-tiful! Ok, that was completely unecessary! Have a super fun week! Tell the boys howdy~

Bethany said...

I love your site Kristin! Thanks for sharing all these fun ideas.

Also, what was the name of that sewing book you mentioned at playgroup? I want to look it up!