Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembrance Day Poppy Wreath




Growing up in Canada it is traditional to wear a red poppy on your lapel in November to remember those who have fought (including current soldiers) for our freedoms.  We also walked from a church service on Remembrance Day (Nov 11) to lay wreaths of poppies on the war memorials on main street.  I liked to see red poppies in crowds of people, knowing they too are thankful for this sacrifice.

During the First World War, red poppies were seen on the war-torn battlefields of northern France and Belgium. The story among soldiers was the crimson red of the poppy came from the blood of their comrades soaking the ground. The sight of poppies on the battlefield at Ypres in 1915 moved Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae to write the poem In Flanders fields.



This is a simple wreath, I used a small foam core ring and hot glue.  I used green felt in the back ground around the inside and outside of the ring.  Here is how it looked in progress.


I didn't take any pictures making the red poppies because they are so easy, I used plain red and glitter red to give it some dimension, layers different size circles and finally added a black center.  The ribbon is cream grosgrain with letter stickers. A small reminder when we enter our home of all we have to be grateful for.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Very nice. I totally forgot about walking to put up those wreaths.

Diane said...

I love this idea!

Jamie said...

Very cool. I want to make a Christmas wreath in that same style. Love the look.