Wednesday, April 21, 2010

And the walls come tumbling down...

So in the Bible stories about the walls of Jericho tumbling down, I don't recall any mention of who had to clean up the mess.  For some reason the writer seemed to think getting the walls down was the hard job.  I'm not discounting that, I'm just saying the clean up it no picnic, I think I'd rather march for days and blow trumpets. 
We are in the midst of a giant basement remodel.  The first step was taking the 3-story chimney out of the middle of the house.  Then demo of the basement, re-framing, plumbing, and that's about where we are.  I haven't done any of it.  But construction dirt and dust and black ash from a 100-yr-old fire place are my new worst enemies. 
After the chimney went down it looked like Mt. St, Helen's erupted inside my house.



I sure wish I was Samantha from bewitched.  My nose is twitching enough from all this dust, at least it would have better results. I am really wondering how dust from the basement gets into a closed medicine cabinet on the 3 floor? I am NOT looking forward to the drywall stage...

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow - what a project! Good luck with all the dust! Maybe you should just stay out of the house until it's done, and do one major clean up then... just a suggestion!!

Lahni said...

You had to remove a three story chimney?! That sounds like a huge project all by itself!

Jana said...

We did the chimney thing to our Ptown house too. It was great to have gone and made for a more cohesive kitchen...we never got to the basement though!

Looking forward to seeing more of you construction!

Traci said...

so exciting....always love a remodel, that is once it is over...

Joanna said...

I hate cleaning normally, I can't imagine what that would be like. I would say take a deep breath and think about the completed project... but maybe you should go outside to take that deep breath!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

My word. I am itchy just thinking about all that dust!! Can you just hook up a giant hose to a door and suck it all out?

Jamie said...

Exciting! Can't wait to see pics of the finished project! :)

aubreyannie said...

oh dear. that is a TON of work, kristin!! you guys are so adventurous. and i totally wish i was samantha from bewitched too! haha.