Wednesday, August 12, 2009

beetling around

When I first saw this giant beetle, I was a little nauseated. At first glance, I thought, "Cockroach!" Then I remembered we don't have a lot of wild giant cockroaches in the Pacific NW. Then I thought, "Aghgh! Giant Beetle!" That was troubling too. The boys were fascinated.




I'm guessing as to what beetle this is. There are lots of possibilities, apparently half the insect population are beetles. Maybe the ground beetle? Any thoughts? I did read that ground beetles eat moths, so now I quite like him. He was transplanted safely to the forest.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Ew. I hope you didn't find that in your house! p.s I LOVE the new photo at the top of your blog!

Kristin said...

No, luckily it was on the grass.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I almost puked when I saw how big that thing was relative to his hand! I'm sending Linnea down your way as soon as we get back. She'll be in heaven!

On another note, LOVE your new header pick. Did you take that yourself? If you, you ought to hire out!

Traci said...

Yikes! I didn't realize how big it was until I saw that nasty thing on his tiny hand...so loving the gloves! {smile smile} Hunter would go nuts!