Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?

Those of you who go to church with me know: I am notoriously late, only 5 mins, but still. My husband says, "If you are consistently 5 mins late, why can't you be consistantly 5 mins early?" Good question. I do try and every week I have a new excuse (all valid FYI) like the power steering didn't work on my car so I had to go 2 miles an hour for fear of going out of control, has the 2007 Hybrid Honda ever done that before or since? No. Could it be the devil trying to make me late for church and argue with my husband who is already there for an earlier meeting? ...hmm...

This long intro brings me to today's post. I sit the children for breakfast at the island, then I go to get ready for church, I come back to the kitchen, overly impressed with myself at my timing: we are all dressed and ready, and half-way though breakfast with much time to spare to get to church. Happy Sunday! But wait, something is lurking in the rafters. So sing along, "why do birds suddenly appear???"
As I enter the kitchen, the boys say, "Look Mom, some birds are watching us eat." I would have looked to the window for said birds, except the boys are pointing to a beam in our great room.


A closer view...

So I don't know if these two little barn swallows decided to study people this week and came into our house, as we "studied" them a few weeks ago, but regardless they were uninvited. Mysteriously I also have NO idea how or when they got in! To their benefit they were trying to fly out towards the windows. I tried to chase them out, coax them out, bribe them out to no avail. The minutes ticked by and "suddenly" I was late for church again. I propped the doors open and just left. They left too, to my relief, while we were gone, leaving behind some feathers and ickier messes on the floors, window sils and chairs.

Maybe next week I'll be early for church...

Suggested reading: In a People House, by Theo. LeSieg, Illustrated by Roy McKie

13 comments:

Natalie said...

This is hilarious! I wish I were in your ward so I could hear such interesting excuses each Sunday.
:-)

Elisha and Scott said...

too funny! funnier that it's a real excuse! you're cute!

J. Baxter said...

I'm so glad they left on their own! Especially since covering all the windows really was an impossibility...

Joanna said...

Haha! what a great story... We actually got 'in a people house' from the library this week! I think Josee will enjoy looking at those pictures!
Your house looks great too ! :)

Burbs said...

You are so adorable. I can't imagine Luke could ever get too upset with you! I totally understand how you mean to be on time and things happen!!! Right when it's time to go!!!! I love that book! When I used to read it to the kids their fav part was when it said a Big Blue Ball!

Jamie said...

Ha ha - I'm always late too, but I don't have good excuses, like birds in my house! My favorite - the boys aren't freaking out. Birds watching them eat is totally normal...

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

Visiting you from the blog train :)
I am always about 5 minutes late too...it wasn't always that way! I blame the kids :)

Danielle
www.extraordinarymommy.com/blog

ashley|josh said...

i seriously was cracking up the whole time i was reading this. you are so funny. but i am always 5 minutes late too. even to work. luckily they don't care. i think it runs in the family.

Amanda said...

That's funny! Although being a person who likes to sleep in on Sunday mornings, I'd take it as a sign to stay home LOL

annie valentine said...

You should add "To Kill a Mocking Bird" and "Lonesome Dove" to your suggested reading list.

Funny girl! I want to come and see the rafters in your house before I leave.

PastormacsAnn said...

Too funny! That must have been quite a surprise! What did your hubby think of that excuse?! ;-)

Came by via the BlogTrain. Off to ride it to somewhere else.

Melissa said...

You should come to our church you'd be one of the early ones. When I first started going I thought church started at 7:30pm and I was only 10mins late each week but about 3 months in my boyfriend finally told me that the service started at 7pm.

Rainy Day Farm said...

That is such a cute story. I love what the boys said! I am not sure if there was a bird convention this spring about entering human homes, but you are second person this summer with a swallow in you house. Be thankful, my friend struggled to get the bird out for 5 hours. I don't think Luke would be impressed with being 5 hours late!