Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mini Pumpkin Patch

So these aren't really pumpkins, they are upside-down, painted acorns, (My sister-in-law Adrianne's idea for something to do with all our acorns). I thought they turned out so cute. The boys (and I) had fun decorating the jack-o-lantern faces with (beware) permanent markers.

Here are her instructions from her comment...

CRAFT MATERIALS:
Acorns
Orange acrylic paint
Brown acrylic paint
Black permanent marker

1. Remove the caps from a handful of acorns.
2. *Coat each one with orange acrylic paint, adding a bit of brown to the acorn's point for a stem.
3. Let the paints dry, then add a jack-o'-lantern face with a black permanent marker.

*I actually painted the acorns while the boys were at school, it was a little messy even for me. I found the best way to paint them was hold them between your thumb and first finger and paint with up and down brush strokes. (I might consider a quick spray paint, rather than hand painting these tiny things.) The faces are the most fun and very easy for kids to draw on...


Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Traci said...

adorable! I love that idea~

Gicela said...

I LOVE all your crafty things you do! Your blog is very motivating. Jo's too! I'm having a hard time finding the energy to do all these fun things. Got any extra lying around????

Joanna said...

Those turned out so cute!! What a fun idea!

Jamie said...

So cute - I know a little song you can sing about pumpkins turning into jack-o-lanterns that makes for a fun game... :)

ade said...

ahhh - you always put things come to life. They turned out cute!!

zakkalife said...

fun and adorable!

The Runaway Lawyer said...

*Brilliant* I have acorns aplenty in my driveway as we speak.

Thanks for the idea!

5orangepotatoes said...

these are the cuteset little guys!!!!

lisa

julie king said...

those are so cute. i know my 4-year old granddaughter jenna will enjoy making some the next time she visits. thanks for the crafty idea and also your sweet words about my art on my blog!!

Sarah said...

Adore! Those are fabulous. I bet they would be awesome piled high in a glass vase for a centerpiece.

Liz Harrell said...

How fabulous! Now I'm sad I didnt bake mine before throwing them out... this is an adorable project!

Rainy Day Farm said...

Super cute!